Friday, 20 February 2015

Project Nurgle Part 9


After getting off to a slow start I'm really enjoying this project and I've a good feeling about how it's progressing. It isn't very often that something turns out exactly how you wanted it to but so far so good. There is still a fair bit of painting to do on Gutrot and the base will need all due care, time and attention to pull off the look I want. But by making this my big project for the year, I should be able to do the job properly. 


 I've come to the realisation that there is no way I'll get a Putrid Blightkings unit painted in time for GD this year so I’ve rethought my painting schedule. I still want to do the unit but it will have to be a long term project. It's the Dark Eldar diorama all over again! On the positive side, with the deadline pressure off, I can really go to town with the nautical theme for the Blightkings. 


 I’m going to tidy up Gutrot and finish off the upper body then he will go onto the back burner for a while. I have a (hopefully) smaller project in mind for Salute that will take over for a couple of months. After that, and once Gutrot is finished, I might see about doing something else for GD - but I'll see how it all goes.

6 comments:

  1. You are mad, mad I tell you! This is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a couple of questions:
    1) how did you sculpt the waves?
    2) how did you build that boat? I want something similar for a viking model I got, but I dont know where to start

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The waves were surprisingly straight forward to sculpt! I applied a layer of green stuff, roughly between 2 & 4mm thick, & smoothed it off. The waves were made by pressing down into the green stuff to create a dimpled surface. I used a ball ended sculpting tool and the ends of a couple of different sized paint brush handles. Gradually make the dimples deeper & wider. The trick is to work at it carefully and not to press in too hard.

      I gave a rough description of how I made the boat in the previous post. The problem I have with describing the process is that I made it up as I went along so it wasn't very structured. The basic idea is that I made a very rough core out of card & milliput. I then clad this in a thin veneer of balsa wood.

      I'm probably going to do a step-by-step tutorial on building the boat in the future as I've several more to make for 'project Nurgle'.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply! And i will definitely keep my eyes open for that step-by-step on how to make a boat like that! :)

      Delete