Wednesday, 4 February 2015

Project Nurgle Part 7 - adding slime to Gutrot Spume

Having finished painting Gutrot Spume’s tentacles it was time to turn my attention to the next stage and apply some ‘special effects’ in the form of a layer of slime. I’ve also decided that I need to do a bit more with some areas of the paint job that I’d thought were finished. I’m happy with what I’ve done but Gutrot needs a bit more weathering and damage to take him up a level. 
There always seems to be more that needs to be done with this mini but I think the effort is paying off. 


To create the slime I used the same basic technique that I employed for the whip on my hellion and the tutorial can be found here.

However a few years have passed since I first used this technique, and I’ve added some refinements that have enhanced the finished effect. UHU glue makes delicate stringy threads over which I built up the slime. I can achieve a strong transparent colour in contrast to the more opaque look achieved with paint by using Tamiya clear acrylic colours to tint the slime. I also now use invisible thread to support any drips that I build up. This is fine, transparent, nylon thread. It allows me to create very small drips and doesn’t show through the clear slime medium. The addition of clear microbeads gives a grotesque bubbly texture that looks especially good on Nurgle minis.

Materials 

Games Workshop Water Effects 
Tamiya clear acrylic colour (yellow, green and smoke) 
Invisible thread 
UHU glue 
Clear glass micro beads (for nail art) 


 Step 1 
The first stage was to use the UHU glue to create some clear stringy threads between the tentacles. These serve as a support for the tinted water effects. This is a tricky process at best. It involves attaching a small blob of UHU to one tentacle and then stretching it across to another and fixing it there. 
Squeeze out a small amount of the glue onto a palette and wait a minuet for it to become less fluid and more stringy. Use something like a toothpick to apply a small amount of glue to the mini. 


I’d advise some experimentation with this material before using it on a painted mini! You can remove the glue before it fully sets but it’s not an easy thing to do and there is a strong risk of damaging the paintwork. Once I was happy with the stringy threads I left the UHU to dry completely overnight. 

Step 2 
The next step is to build up the green slime over the stringy threads and tentacles. Water effects will shrink as it dries out so it’s important to allow each coat to dry before you apply the next. If you build up too thick a layer the shrinkage may cause it to distort. It’s also during this stage of the process that I build up the drips. 

Step 3 
Once the slime is done you can add the microbeads. First mix a few of the microbeads into a drop of the slime mix. Then put a small amount of the slime onto the mini where you want to fix the beads. This will make it easier to push the microbeads around a little to get them into position. Pick the microbeads off your palette with a clean paintbrush and position then on the mini. You can do this with a few at a time or one by one for more control. 

9 comments:

  1. That's impressive, thanks for the tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a feeling this was your approach. Very nicely done. Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one! I need to pick me up some of those beads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a very clever man. Really good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The effect you achieve with the micro beads is just astonishing! Very clever, very well done. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i did this using silicon balls from packages there great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a creative alternative - I'll have to give it a go!

      Delete