I should probably have titled this post "Oops I did it again!”
I began work on Squarg’s base right at the start of this project and the majority of the construction was complete as I painted the frog. The intention was to develop all the elements of the project simultaneously so that everything would come together as a balanced and harmonious composition. So much for good intentions!
Once the frog and rider were painted, I could see that the base I’d made was totally out of proportion with them. It looked far too big and blocky for what is a relatively small and compact mini. I’ve decided to scale back the size and scope of the base. This base isn’t intended to be a scene or diorama. It needs to show off the mini and present it to its best advantage and, once again, when it comes to the base, I prefer a ‘less is more’ approach.
One day I’m going to remember that before I start construction on another grandiose base!
The new base, like the old one, is constructed from bits of tree bark, roots and resin mushrooms. Unlike the old one it allows Squarg & his frog to be the dominant element of the composition, and I feel it’s far better for it.