The 2014/15 painting year got off to a bit of a slow start. On top of that once I’d found my feet and settled into painting Gutrot Spume it was time to put him aside to concentrate on Mole. It’s clearly going to be a less productive year in terms of the number of minis I’ll get finished, so I’ve decided to concentrate on quality and enjoy myself by obsessing over Gutrot.
Instead of leaping straight back into painting Gutrot, I decided to paint something as a warm-up exercise to re-familiarise myself with my ‘Nautical Nurgle’ colour palate. It’s been a useful exercise as I’d become very focused on Mole’s palatte over the last few weeks and the palette for Gutrot is extremely different.
I picked one of the Kraken tentacles from Gutrot’s base for my warm up. I’ve probably spent far too much time and effort on this one tentacle than is entirely sane but it’s been a highly enjoyable little project. Spared the pressure of trying to get back up to speed on Gutrot himself I’ve been able to reacquaint myself with the palette while still contributing to the overall project. Now I’m back up to speed I can return to Gutrot with confidence.
Apart from using a wide range of colours from the palette I wanted to paint some texture onto the tentacle. The first step towards this was to sponge a blotchy pattern onto the skin. I used natural sponge for this rather than blister pack sponge. This resulted in a pattern of large soft splotches that were built up in several different shades of green. Over this I painted and highlighted a series of fine parallel lines to give the impression of a ribbed texture.
Another embellishment was the replacement of the sculpted slime drips with trails of dripping water. These were built up over shards of clear plastic using water effects and microbeads.
The final touch is several coats of gloss varnish. These tentacles are most definitely intended to look wet!