Friday 13 January 2017

Blasts from the Past

I’ve recently completed the seven day art challenge on Facebook. Each day, for seven days, I had to post three pictures of my work. I decided to have a strong focus on some of my older, and more obscure, projects as my recent work has had plenty of coverage.

I’ve been a little cautious about dwelling on the past but that’s not to say I don’t value my mini painting past. I strongly believe that to know where you are going you have to understand where you have come from.

In that spirit, I’ve decided to compile these pictures of my older work and post them here. All of the photographs are taken recently. The miniatures were painted between the early 1980s and the late 1990s. They include the minis I painted before the first Golden Demon painting competitions, my entries to the first four Golden Demons, from 1987 to 1990, and the miniatures I painted in the years after.

I’ve given dates and descriptions for the models that are as accurate as memory allows.

Balrog
Games Workshop Early 1980s

Wizard
Games Workshop Early 1980s

Death Giant
Grenadier Early1980s

Troll Champion in Classical Armour
Games Workshop - Golden Demon 1987 entry


Eldar Warrior
Games Workshop - Golden Demon 1988
Gold - Single Miniature

Troll
Games Workshop - Golden Demon 1988
Gold - Monster

Space Wolves Rhino
Games Workshop - Golden Demon 1989
Gold - 40k Vehicle

Chimera
Games Workshop - Golden Demon 1989
Gold - Monster

Champion of Slaanesh vs Bloodletter
Games Workshop - Golden Demon 1989 entry

Nurgle Predator conversion
Games Workshop - Golden Demon 1990
Gold - 40k Vehicle & Slayer Sword

Eldar Death Jester
Games Workshop - Golden Demon 1990 entry

Champion of Nurgle
Games Workshop - 1990

Champion of Tzeentch conversion
Games Workshop - Early 1990s

Eldar Fire Dragon
Games Workshop - Early 1990s

Eldar Gaurdians
Games Workshop - Early 1990s

Gargoyle
Games Workshop - Early 1990s

Eldar Warlock
Games Workshop - Early 1990s

Skaven Assasin
Games Workshop - Early 1990s

Silver Helm
Games Workshop - Mid 1990s

Wood Elf Champion
Games Workshop - Mid 1990s

Dragon Prince
Games Workshop - Mid 1990s

Swooping Hawk
Games Workshop - Mid 1990s

Ariel & Wardancers
Games Workshop - Late 1990s

Jain Zar
Games Workshop - Late 1990s

Dark Eldar Incubi
Games Workshop - Late 1990s


11 comments:

  1. I remember seeing many of them in White Dwarf during my early days of gaming and being completely in awe of the skill and dreaming of painting like that myself one day.

    I've followed your work on CMoN and your blog and it's been really interesting to see the progress you've made during the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also remember many of your entries..as impressive now as they were then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too remember a lot of these from old white dwarfs. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, and for regular current posts, showing details of WIPs and the thoughts that go into their creation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah, nostalgia ...
    Great show!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant! I first saw these years ago in the Eavy Metal modelling and painting guides, and I am still inspired by them (I prefer the old school style). Thanks for sharing these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I speak for everyone when I say, "Thanks for proving that you're a mortal human who had to learn his craft," and helping us understand that you didn't emerge from the Warp, already better at painting than anyone else can ever hope to achieve!

    Interesting to see how the Golden Demon standards have shifted over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spectacular! Seeing these really takes me back to reading WD as a lad and poring over your work - You were truly an inspiration to my younger self! Now to go read through all your archives, bummed I hadn't been following all along - Keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting this. Fantastic stuff, and some nice Oldhammer stuff in that lot! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great stuff. A fantastic trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Remember seeing many of these at Golden Demon and in the Southampton store. Still looking as good now as they did then.

    ReplyDelete