I've decided to split this post into two parts with a follow up on painting the reworked base to follow very shortly. The process has developed in a very organic way with both the paint scheme and the base undergoing continual adjustment. So consider the picture below as something of a teaser for the state of the base at the time of posting.
I'm very pleased with the monoliths and how the Sourge minis interact with them but I was less happy with how the overall piece sat on it's plinth. It's not that there was anything particularly wrong with it, it was just a bit boring. I came to the conclusion that the union between the base and the plynth needed to be more dramatic.
So I took a deep breath, steeled my nerves and reached for the superglue, cork and earth!
I decided to have some of the ground surfaces on the base breaking out beyond the edges of the plinth. To do this I broke up a cork placemat (very cheap from IKEA) into small pieces and glued those into place with super glue gel. The broken cork gives a really great texture and, once the glue is set, it can be easily cut or carved into. I also added some more basing slate to match that already used. Once all the glue was fully set I went about filling up the gaps with some green stuff. The final touch was the addition of some garden soil sprinkled onto superglue (watch out for the fumes if you try this).
The resulting patchwork is a bit jarring to look at but that's easily fixed with the application of a base coat.
To paint the base I'm using lots of dry brushing and washes following the same sort of process I used to paint the monoliths. http://sproketsmallworld.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/dark-eldar-diorama-painting-monoliths.html