Tuesday 5 July 2011

Dark Eldar Diorama - the first Hellion

At the same time as I’ve been working on the diorama base I’ve also been painting the Dark Eldar. The first of the Hellions is done but I remembered to take a few snaps of the work in progress.


I wanted to try something a bit different from the usual black with neon edges that you see on the Dark Eldar. What I’ve gone for is a strong red/green contrast against a deep blue grey background. 

To be honest although I’m pleased with the final result I’m not yet convinced that this is right for the diorama. Something else that bugs me is that the colour scheme resembles the sort of thing I was doing in the late 80s and early 90s. 

I’m very pleased with the mini as I’ve painted it but I’ve a yearning to try something of a new (to me) approach to colour
A possible solution has already occurred...

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Love your work. I am just beginning to collect, built and paint 40K mini's and purchased a dark eldar wyches troop. I absolutely love the "slime" that you have dripping off the whip. How did you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "slime" is built up in lots of layers. Firstly I glue a short length of hair in place (a white one plucked from my beard) with clear glue. When the glue has set I put a tiny blob of more glue onto the end of the hair. Once that has set it's a matter of slowly bulding up layers to get the desired thickness. I used Games Workshop's water effects to do this.
    I'll put together a little tutorial with some pics and post it in the near future to better explain.

    ReplyDelete